Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Party and random thoughts

So, yesterday I had a little party. Well, it was more of a get together than a party. There were like 11 of us and I rented a "party room" here at the apartment complex. It would have been better if we could have gotten the stereo to work with our iPods or at least had some games to play, but we didn't. Well, we did play games, but not like real games. Just group games. But it was fun. There were two Japanese girls and then a whole bunch of exchange students. And I think everyone, including myself, got to meet someone new. So that's always fun. :D After the "party" we all went to Yokohama and did purikura (short for purinto kurabu...print club). It's like a really fancy photobooth for those of you who don't know. Then we got gyuudon (beef bowl) for dinner because it's cheap and good. But really, it's a man food and girls don't eat it too often. I don't care. I like it. And there was a Japanese girl there before we got there, so it's not like girls never eat it. After that we went shopping. Well we just looked around. I don't think anyone actually bought anything. But it was a really fun day.

Top: Katia (Finland), Karuna (Japan), Ruan (Brazil), Bala (Malaysia) Middle: Felipe (Ecuador), Jonas (Germany), David (Czech Republic), Abbey (America) Bottom: Irwin (Taiwan), Iliana (Mexico), Chika (Japan)

It was a very full purikura booth. It's so cool that I have gotten to make friends from all over the world here. Seriously, there are 11 people in this picture and we are from 10 different countries! It's awesome! But also sad because we all live so far away from each other that once we go home, maybe we will never see each other again. :( I honestly think that if everyone got to have an experience like this there would be peace in the world. How could you ever hate a country or it's people after meeting them so personally? People are the same everywhere.

I am caught up again! Phew. I am really glad I got that done before I go back to school again. Tomorrow is my last day of break and I have plans so not much would have gotten done if I hadn't done it today.

So lately I've been thinking about my exchange as a whole again. Mostly because I have been on break and there is lots of time to think. And because I am now officially through the holidays. That's supposed to be a kind of turning point in your exchange. After this I should know my language pretty well. Apparently I'm a little behind in that department, but I'm working on it. And once you know the language well you can actually get to know people from school and stuff and find out who your good friends here are. From here on out, everything is supposed to go by so fast, and the next thing you know you are sitting on an airplane going home. Yikes. So, sometimes I feel like I'm leaving so soon, but really, I still have more than 6 months left. I'm not even halfway done yet. The past four and a half months have gone by so fast, especially the last two, that I don't think six months is going to seem long at all. So, I guess now its time to figure out what I really want to do with my time here. I have been having a really good time and making friends and learning the language and stuff, but is there something more I should be doing with my time here? This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I don't want to miss anything.

I have decided that I want to work harder on my Japanese, especially kanji. I really want to be able to read and I really really want to be able to take and pass that AP exam in a year or so. It only took me a week or so to learn the first 80 kanji. 400 isn't that many. And even with those first 80 I have figured out what some things mean. Like the kanji on the toilet handle for big and little flush. I can read it now! Exciting, huh? I do want to be able to read more than the toilet, however, so I will keep studying that. Maybe my teacher at school will be able to get me some worksheets from the gradeschool or something. That would be fun. Actually I have discovered that I really miss school. Not school itself, but like homework. I know, that's crazy. I especially miss math homework. I thought I hated Algebra II last year, but I miss it now. Doing math homework made me feel smart. I never really feel smart here. I don't want to have to do all the homework in school in Japanese, but having Japanese assignments for me, to help my Japanese, would be awesome. That would mean making extra work for a teacher at school though, and since I'm not a real student there, I don't know if I want to ask for that.

The other thing I want to do here is meet more people. But not more Rotarians. They are very nice and generous and all, but I want to meet more teenagers. I want more Japanese friends. I have my friends from school and a few people that I have met at Kamakura, but I want to meet more. And I want to get to know people that don't speak english. As long as they'd be patient with me. That would force me to explain everything in Japanese, even if it is hard and I don't know all the words. However, I don't know how to meet people myself here. There really isn't much I can do about that one now. Maybe my next host family will be friends with families with kids my age or something.

Okay, that's about all I've got right now. Hopefully I'll be able to update again soon. This week I start school again and I have my two monthly rotary meetings. I can't believe that I have those again! That means a whole month has passed already. And I have to write another stinkin' speech. Yuck.

5 comments:

Michael said...

Abbey is the best!

AnnaMarie said...

That's awesome that you put together these parties. I'm glad you're meeting lots of people. I wouldn't worry too much about getting to know lots of other people. Just get to know the people you have met better. It's true--there's a very good chance you'll never see most or all of them again unless you really work hard to plan. Like after graduation from high school even, you don't see most people much after that unless you plan for it. Anyhow, I'm glad you're having fun!

How did you get your purikura on your blog?

Good luck with Japanese and feeling smarter! :) Love ya! I'd use that site that Dad found for the AP course as your lesson plan. It's all set up and has all the resources there. Just email me if you have any questions. I think I'm going to be working on it too.

Abbey said...

Thanks Michael. :D And as for the purikura, all the machines now send them one person's phone, and that person put them up on facebook so everyone could get them.

Kurt said...

Algebra II was quite an awesome class. Why don't females usually eat the beef bowl? Just a male food? That is strange and interesting.

Abbey said...

Yeah, gyuudon is like a lunch for working men usually. Girls can eat it, they just usually don't. I just choose to act like an ignorant foreigner because it's so good. And it costs less than 4 dollars for a meal! :D