Monday, December 8, 2008

Kamakura

On November 23 I went to an exchange student program in Kamakura, which is just south of me. I still don't know exactly what it was. Some sort of high school volunteer program for Japanese high school students. Most of them spoke English pretty well because they either did an exchange of some sort or they lived overseas when they were younger.



Anyway, I went down with my host family in the morning. We went to the big temple for Toru's special day. There is a holiday that is something about 3,5,7. Girls that are three and seven, and boys that are five. Toru is five so he got all dressed up in a fancy kimono and we went to the temple with the family and grandparents. We also had family pictures done. Which I was in. :D After Toru's thing, I left to meet up with the group for this program.



We got to talk and get to know each other for a while while we had lunch. Then we had a nice tour of Kamakura. We went to three temples and the Daibutsu (Big Buddha). It was really fun. And I met lots of new people, including other Japanese high school students. Yay!



The next day was a holiday, so some of us met at Yokohama Station. It turned out that none of the other girls could make it, which was not what I was planning on when I threw the idea out there. There was the german guy, myself, and two of the Japanese guys that we met the day before. One of them invited two of his friends along, so that was fun. Not that they said a single word to me after we were introduced. We went to a game center (arcade), where I got to lose to everyone else at Mario cart racing, but dominate at air hockey. Then we went to Karaoke, which was a blast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
AnnaMarie said...

You mean that it was all boys and you? It must have been their lucky day!