Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Just Me and My Host Mom

I got back from my rotary trip on Saturday night. Sunday morning I left for Yuzawa in Niigata Prefecture of Japan . It is on the western side of Japan. I repacked my suitcase and we were on our way before lunch. There was nice weather, so we ended up driving rather than taking the bullet train. But it was nice. It was only like a 4 hour drive and I slept for most of it, so it wasn't bad at all.


My host family has two separate apartments in Yuzawa, which is an onsen and ski resort town. Yuzawa is so beautiful! It is right in the mountains and everything is white from snow. The ski hills are still open, for the most part. There is this tunnel about 6 miles long that goes through one of the mountains. When you get out on the western side of the tunnel the whole scenery changes. It goes from spring colors of green and brown to the snow covered, wintery mountain scenery. It was so cool! Outside the window of the apartment we slept in there is this river running by and mountains all around.
The view out the window of the apartment

We went to the other apartment too. It is about 3 minutes by car. I guess they have two so when they bring friends to Yuzawa their friends stay at the second apartment. The second apartment had a nice gym that I used and really nice onsen because half of the complex is a hotel.

My host mom and I just spent three days relaxing, working out, going to onsen, and studying Japanese. It was awesome. And I love onsen! It really is something that you have to accept as Japanese culture before you can see why they enjoy it. For those of you who don't know, onsen are public baths in Japan. It's almost like a huge hot tub. You just sit and relax. At first the water is really hot, but once you are done it feel so good. You still feel warm a few hours afterward.

At the gym I got to use actual workout equiptment for the first time in forever! My arms are still sore. But it felt so good to work out.
Eating Tako-Yaki (Octopus Balls) in the car on the way home. Yummy!

It was a really fun little vacation. My host mom is so nice for taking me with her. It was also fun to go just the two of us. Host-mother-daughter bonding. I got back from that yesterday. Today I am taking it easy and starting tomrrow, the rest of my vacation is going to go so fast! I am busy every day.

And in one week from tomrrow, AnnaMarie, Tyler, and Katie come! I am so excited to see them! Plus I really need some new shoes (thanks AnnaMarie!).

Oh, and my newest news. I am probably going to have a thrid host family! I guess one of the rotarians in my club wants to host me. I am going to meet him and his family and talk about it on Saturday. Wish me luck! Meeting your new host families is a little scary. I am sure it will all work out fine, but so much of your exchange depends on your host family. I hope my third is as good as my first two have been. From what I understand, the one thing that makes this a maybe is that they live a little far from my school. They live in Tokyo. But it would be closer than the my first host family's house was, so it would be okay. And for about half of the time I would be staying with them I would be on Summer break from school anyway. So, we will see.

5 comments:

Michael said...

Abbey is the best!

Abbeyfan said...

So Abbey-san. How is it riding in the car on the wrong side?

Oh, and remind me not to let you drive when you get home ... ever.

haha

AnnaMarie said...

That is so awesome all the things that you are getting to do! You'll have to tell us what your new host family is like.

Abbey said...

Hey now, I am a good driver. :) I want to get my liscense before school starts. Lots of practicing!! :P and the first time it was really scary. And my host dad almost hit another car...

And thanks Michael! :)

Abbeyfan said...

Abbey said: "Hey now, I am a good driver. :) I want to get my liscense before school starts. Lots of practicing!!"

Abbey, you are soooo funny and cute! That was a really good April Fool's joke! hahahahaha