Saturday, December 27, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy!

Well, this entire month has been insanely busy! So, here goes my attempt to catch everyone up on what I've been up to. Since Disney Sea, this is what I've done. I gave a 20 minute presentation about Ironwood to a middle school (equivalent to 7th grade) class; gave my monthly speech at the Rotary Orientation meeting for exchange students, after which I went out for Chinese food with my rotarians; then it got crazy...

December 16th: Nou with Iliana and her 3rd host family.
17th: Iliana's Family's Christmas party (yes, it was a school night with very little sleep).
19th: School Christmas party. After school I went to Haruna's house for a sleepover.
19th-22nd: At Haruna's house for an amazing sleepover.
23rd: Rotary Club's Family Christmas Dinner Party. I gave a speech with no romaji!
24th: Risako's (a friend from school) Christmas Party.
25th: Christmas!
26th: Ice Skating and Karaoke with other exchange students.

phew! Today has been my first free day in a long time!

So, I am going to break this up into a few different blog entries. Hopefully I'll get them all up tonight or tomorrow. This one will talk about my presentation and the nou. Then I will have one for the various Christmas parites, one for my sleepover, and one for Christmas. There isn't too much to say about the ice skating and Karaoke. It was lots of fun, but that's about all there is to say. :D

I was asked to give a 20 minute presentation about my home in America to the middle school grade one class. The high school classes were having exams that week so I spent the week working on the project with the english (my Japanese) teachers in the school. I had a powerpoint and everything! I think it went really well, and I find it easier to study Japanese by working on a project or speech in Japanese rather than by reading a textbook.

A nou is a Japanese play (kind of) with traditional singing and dancing. I think the nou I went to was a little different than they usually are. I think they usually have a story, but the one I went to didn't. Maybe it wasn't really a nou. It was very interesting to see all the men and women in the traditional kimonos and stuff. They did some kind of temple ceremony, and then they did their singing and dancing. To be honest, it was very interesting, but it was very long and boring. They did the same singing for like and hour and they only did the dancing for a little bit. Maybe I just didn't really understand what was going on, but I think a lot of the Japanese people there were pretty bored too. If I had known what it was going to be before hand I still would have gone because it is Japanese culture and all, but I'm not exactly begging anyone to take me to another one. It was a good experience to have once, though!

One other thing that I have just started recently, like 3 days ago, is studying kanji. Kanji are the Chinese characters. I was talking to Dad on Skype about next year when I go back and we got to talking about school. My plan is to take some kind of self-study Japanese course, weather it is just a high school course or if it is an A.P. course. Dad looked up the A.P. Japanese exam and I will have to know over 400 kanji to even dream of passing it! Yikes! Before we talked about this I probably knew less than 20. So, my first reaction was okay, fine. I just won't take the A.P. test. I'll just take a placement exam before I start university. But I thought about it and I decided that I do want to learn Kanji eventually because I really hate not being able to read anything. Being illiterate is such a pain! So, I started studying! :D Kanji are split up into school years. My host mom let me borrow one of Wataru's books on kanji because he is in first grade. There are 80 first-grade kanji, so I made myself nice flashcards of them. I now know all them! Well, almost. I can recognize all of them and know their meanings in english. I know probably 75 of them from Kanji to Japanese and I can write about 70 of them if you give me the Japanese meaning. I am so proud of myself! :D One week ago, I didn't even know how to write 20 kanji, and the ones I do know from before aren't all first-grade kanji. I keep the flashcards in my purse, so I can study them on the train and stuff too. So, my goal is to get through at least the 2nd grade level kanji (there are 160 second year kanji) completely memorized before I go home. Hopefully more than that. And maybe, if I study really hard, I can take the A.P. exam.

4 comments:

Abbeyfan said...

Yay for Abbey and learning Kanji! We're glad you had a wonderful Christmas . . . you have more Christmas parties and vacations in Japan than we do in the USA! What's up with that???

AnnaMarie said...

Oh, you would be my hero if you could take the AP test! Keep working hard on those!

Ahem, I think there is more to say about ice skating and karaoke. Who was there? What guys think you're hot? What guys do you think are hot? Who does Iliana like? Did you fall? Did anyone do anything funny? What songs were your favorites? Did you sing any in Japanese.

I tried to get that Tegami song, but it's not on iTunes. :( Bummer.

Abbey said...

haha. I did fall, actually. A little kid in front of me totally wiped out like where the legs fly out in front of you, then I did the exact same thing behind him. I probably would have hit him if I hadn't fallen. The kid gets up no problem. I'm like " OUCH! It HURTS! I Cant move! Help me get up!!!" it hurt really bad. Ianded right on my tail bone. But I didn't cry cuz I'm tough! Haha

Michael said...

Abbey is the best!